This is the traditional way of making tea in the Australian result. The hunter with his flock of sheep or the itinerant cutter with his scoundrel should drink water wherever he finds it. Tea is a good way to drink water and the balance reduces the intake of tea to absolute simplicity.
The billy itself is simply a kind of metal cooking pot with a lid and a bucket handle that ignites in the fire. The water is boiled and the tea is made in the same pot. For a family, choose a 1 to 2 liter, but for a larger meeting you need a bill of maybe 10 liters or more. It will soon be darkened and softened on the outside but clean and shiny on the inside, which brings authenticity.
When traveling with your swag on the outside, don’t bring fresh milk. It’s traditional to savor canned sweetened condensed milk billy, but not everyone likes it. You will need:
- It has strong black (any type, fresh if possible)
- Properly sized billycan
- Water (clean and fresh if possible)
- Field fire and somewhere to put the bill
- Tin cups (250 ml or more)
- Blade rubber (optional)
- Milk, sugar or condensed milk, as available.
How to get there:
- Fill the bill with water: at least 250 ml per person.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
- When the water boils, catch the fire by lifting the handle with a stick and remove the lid. Please note & # 150; everything is very hot.
- Sprinkle the tea over water: a handful for a bill family, several steps for a large one.
- Drain the chewing gum leaf for its distinctive flavor (optional).
- Just wait. After about 5 minutes, the tea leaves suddenly fall to the bottom. Covering the side of the bill with a stick can help you (at least a lot of people do!).
- Carefully pour the tin cups leaving the tea leaves at the bottom of the billy.
- Flavor with milk, sugar or condensed milk if desired.
The tea is strong, invigorating and tastes surprisingly good. An Australian barbecue would not be the same without billy tea. It goes especially well with the shock absorber and jam or golden syrup, but that’s another story!
frontier airlines reservstions
A gum leaf means a young, green leaf of a eucalyptus tree. It’s available in a surprisingly large number of places outside of Australia, but it has an acquired taste.
The tradition is that the tea series of the cups and the bill are poured into the fire to help put it out before leaving the camp.